The AC Gilbert “The Man from UNCLE” action figure line was released in 1965 and was based on the popular TV show starring Robert Vaughn, David Callum and Leo G Caroll produced by MGM from 1964 to 1968.
The series followed the adventures of two secret agents who worked for a secret international counter-espionage and law-enforcement agency called U.N.C.L.E. The series led the spy action thriller craze of the time and several episodes were even successfully released theatrically as B-Movies or double features.
The two The Man from UNCLE 12-inch figures, or dolls, of Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin were well dressed and had the same spring release arm mechanism that Bond and Oddjob also had. Solo came dressed in black pants/trousers, shoes, white shirt and a cap firing pistol. Kurayakin however, came dressed in a black turtle-neck sweater/jumper and pants. He also came equipped with a cap firing pistol. Each of the figures also came with a plastic U.N.C.L.E ID badge.
The figures were supported by a series of carded and window boxed accessories that were also compatible with AC Gilberts other action figures, i.e. James Bond, Honey West and Moon McDare. There were three large cello boxes, two small cello boxes and two cello wrapped cards. These sets included a Target Set, Jump Suit Set, Armanent Set, Scuba Set, Arsenal Set #1, Arsenal Set #2, and a Pistol Conversion Kit.
Many of the pieces from this accessory sets were interchanged with the BOND AND Honey West sets with simple paint job changes.
The figures, at the time of writing, are generally available loose with the box for between $50-$100 each, however I saw one AFA 80 Graded Napoleon figure selling for $3,500!
Sealed MOC or MIB accessory packs on the other hand are selling for between $150-$300, with loose accessories selinf from $10-$50 a piece.
Napoleon Solo "Raises Arm and Shoots Cap-Firing
Pistol" in 4 ½” x 12 ½” x 2 ½” box, including white shirt, black pants,
shoes, cap-firing pistol, U.N.C.L.E. Membership Card and Identification Badge
· lllya Kuryakin "Raises Arm and Shoots Cap-Firing Pistol" in 4 ½” x 12 ½” x 2 ½” box including black sweater, pants and shoes, cap-firing pistol, U.N.C.L.E. shoes, cap-firing pistol, U.N.C.L.E. Membership Card and Identification Badge
Accessories and Apparel
· Target Apparel Set boxed includes bullet-proof vest, 3 targets with stands, action bazooka, 3 shells and working binoculars
· Jump Suit Set boxed includes jumpsuit with boots and helmet, working parachute and pack and cap-firing tommy gun with scope
· Armament Set boxed boxed includes all-weather jacket, military beret, cap-firing pistol with barrel extension, bipod stand, rifle butt and knife, with utility pouch and 4 grenades working binoculars, accessory belttelescopic sight,
· Scuba Set boxed; includes scuba jacket, swim trunks, air tanks, tank bracket, tubes and knife
· Arsenal Set #1 boxed ; includes spring-action bazooka with 3 shells, cap-firing rifle, cap-firing demountable gun with rifle conversion attachments
· Arsenal Set #2 on header card; includes cap-firing rifle with telescopic sight, grenade belt and 4 grenades
· Pistol Conversion Kit on header card; includes bipod, rifle butt, barrel extension, telescopic sight and working binoculars