COMING SOON: The all new Members Only site launching SOON!! FREE eBooks, Checklists, Guides, Videos, Discounts, Private FB Group and The AFR Ultimate Action Figure Guide Database with more than 60,000 action figures listed from 1964 to the present day!!
Register NOW for special offers only for those who PRE-REGISTER to join!!
What Licensed Cars Were in the Transformers Alternators Line?
The Transformers Alternators line was primary targeted at the older collector and featured the use of 1:24 scale, real-world vehicle modes that were officially licensed from the car manufacturers with unparallel points of articulation.
Each vehicle also had two models to go with it to match the real world vehicles, the base model and the sport model.
The Transformers Alternators line made its debut in September, 2003and brought back the feel of the original G1 line for many collectors.
Despite the lines popularity, excellent designs, innovative sculpts and outstanding transformation modes the line became a production nightmare for Hasbro.
One of the biggest problems they came across was that many of the car manufacturers didn’t want to be associated with war machines, e.g. Porsche and Volkswage. Although a prototype of the Porsche 986 Boxster does excist.
Also a re-mold of the Bumblebee character was made but never licensed from Volkswagen for the same reason.
It also meant that each time Hasbro wanted to make any changes to any of the figures or update their mold they had to seek the approval of the car manufacturers which proved to be virtually unworkable creating long delays with new releases, and many prototypes and pre-production concepts, designs and toys to be cancelled.
Also many of the character only had a limited release, e.g. Prowl wasn’t released in the UK because Hasbro believed that children wouldn’t recognize it as a real police car.
Others had their names changed to more recognizable names depending on where they were being released.
Alternator / Binaltech story
Although there has never been an official storyline for Alternators from Hasbro, the Binaltech has generally been adopted for this line.
In this storyline the Autobots on Earth are infected by a disease that destroys their Cybertronian bodies leaving them vulnerable to attack from the Decpticons, and so they team up with car manufacturers on Earth to create new bodies for them.
With these new bodies, the Autobots chase the Decepticons out of the solar system but the evil scientist Dr. Arkeville, is determined to break the Earth/Autobot alliance and so he brainwashes the Binaltech scientist to make Decepticons versions.
And so the fight continues…
Although the Kiss Players figures were not officially part of the Alternator/Binaltech line and since they utilize the Alternators molds they are frequently grouped twith them.
However there is no mention of the Alternator/Binaltech line on any of the Kiss Players packaging or promotional material. Also the storyline took place in a different continuity making it incompatible with the Binaltech timeline.
- Smokescreen - Subaru Impreza WRC
- Side Swipe - Dodge Viper
- Autobot Hound - Jeep Wrangler
- Silverstreak - Subaru Impreza WRX
- Autobot Tracks - Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06
- Dead End - Dodge Viper
- Meister (aka Autobot Jazz) - Mazda RX-8
- Swindle - Jeep Wrangler
- Grimlock - Ford Mustang GT
- Windcharger - Honda S2000
- Battle Ravage - Chevrolet Corvette C5 Convertible
- Shockblast - Mazda RX-8
- Wheeljack - Ford Mustang GT
- Decepticharge - Honda S2000
- Swerve - Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06
- Prowl - Acura RSX
- Autobot Skids - Scion xB
- Sunstreaker - Dodge Viper
- Rollbar - Jeep Wrangler
- Ricochet - Subaru Impreza WRX
- Optimus Prime - Dodge Ram SRT-10
- Mirage - Ford GT
- Autobot Camshaft - Acura RSX
- Nemesis Prime - Dodge Ram SRT-10 (SDCC 2006/Hasbro Toy Shop
exclusive) (Labeled No. 24 on the box)
- Decepticon Rumble - Honda Civic Si (Labeled No. 24 on the box)
- Ravage - Jaguar XK (Wal-Mart exclusive)
- Rodimus - Ford GT (SDCC 2007/Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive) (Labeled
Rodimus Prime on the instruction sheet)
Binaltech figures are the Japanese version of Alternators. Unlike
Alternators, the Binaltech line features fully painted car bodies and
die-cast metal parts.
- BT-01 Smokescreen - Subaru Impreza WRC 2003 (#7 & #8)
- BT-02 Lambor - Dodge Viper SRT-10
- BT-03 Streak - Subaru Impreza WRX
- BT-04 Hound - Jeep Wrangler
- BT-05 Dead End - Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
- BT-06 Tracks - Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Millennium Yellow & LeMans
- BT-07 Smokescreen GT - Subaru Impreza WRC 2004 (#1 & #2)
- BT-08 Meister - Mazda RX-8 (Crystal White Pearl & Velocity Red
- BT-09 Swindle - Jeep Wrangler custom
- BT-10 Grimlock - Ford Mustang GT
- BT-11 Ravage - Chevrolet Corvette
- BT-12 Overdrive - Honda S2000
- BT-13 Laserwave - Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version II
- BT-14 Wheeljack - Mustang GT Street Tuning
- BT-15 Prowl - Honda Integra Type-R (Patrol Type & Vivid Blue
- BT-16 Skids - Toyota bB
- BT-17 Black Convoy - Dodge Ram SRT-10 (Wonderfest 2007/e-Hobby
- BT-18 Ligier Electro-Disruptor Mode - Ford GT (e-Hobby exclusive)
(also spelled "Electro-Disrupter")
- BT-19 Bluestreak - Subaru Impreza WRX (Blue)
- BT-20 Argent Meister - Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed Version II (Silver
2007 Live Action Movie colors)
- BT-21 Arcee - Honda S2000
- BT-22 Convoy - Red Dodge Ram SRT-10
Generation 2 Transformers
Action Figure Guides and Publications
Please note that all prices mentioned on this site are for informational purposes only and are NOT a solicitation or offer to buy any of the items quoted.
When researching for these articles I use many different online and offline retailers and auctions to get an average value AT THE TIME of writing the article.
As such they will almost definitely be incorrect as the prices and values are in constant flux and change.
Please check my articles and videos on how to grade and value your action figures for up to date prices.
How to Grade Your Action Figures
How to Value Your Action Figures
Share the Love!
Nov 02, 20 01:25 AM
Vintage Toy Biz Spider-Man Spider Wars The New Animated Series released in 1996 was based on the premise of [ Read More ]
Oct 27, 20 11:25 PM
Kenner Batman figures. In 1990 the Batman license moved from Toy Biz to Kenner who released two “waves” of Kenner Batman: The Dark Knight figures [ more ]
Oct 21, 20 11:44 AM
Toybiz Spider-ManThe New Animated Series 7 was also known as The Collectors Series and... [Read More]
Oct 07, 20 12:45 AM
This review and guide takes a close look at the Toy Biz Iron Man Animated series 4 wave of action figures including accessories and values. [Read More]
Oct 03, 20 06:38 AM
This is an -depth review and guide to the Toy Biz Spider-man The New Animated Series Action Figure Series 5 released in 1995. There were 6 action figuress with